My family is worried about me...so worried in fact that 2 of my sisters called my therapist requesting an appointment to talk to her...about me. I've been seeing this therapist for almost 20 years so we have a very long, very successful relationship. She knows more about me than anyone except maybe God. I understand their concern but I also understand the conflict of interest involved. My therapist can not talk to anyone without me present...and I'm ok with that.
Alcohol has played a big part is this latest crisis. All of us have been traumatized by the death of our brother Jim and the grief has been deeply felt. I can't believe it's been 7 months already. The holidays were not the same without him and since my 2 brothers' birthdays are one day after another, it's going to be major to get through it. Our first thought was that we should all be together and get through it with the support of each other. Our second thought was to add alcohol to the mix and everybody sleep over at my parents' house so nobody drives drunk. I'm having second thoughts about the alcohol part - since alcohol caused Steven to say something he didn't mean which started this latest crisis in the first place, shouldn't that be a heads up that we should take alcohol out of the mix? Isn't it possible we could make things worse if alcohol is consumed in large quantities and we are all together in one confined space? People say things under the influence - that's a fact. But should alcohol be used as an excuse? Once it's said, it's out there no matter WHAT caused it to be out there. And now I'm not sure what I should do. I'll have to think about this I guess because the more I think about it the more I'm convinced we should keep alcohol out of the mix. That way we can be sure no one says anything they don't mean or that mean things don't get said. Adding more hurt on top of what we already have is not the goal here. The goal is to continue to help each other heal.
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment